vanillaflavoureddavid

Watch me ollie!

Monday, January 16, 2006

Okay, okay

So I suck at picking the football results. Big deal.

In other news, I'm again finding myself wondering what this damned thing is for. There's overly-personal shit that I shouldn't post, and there's work shit that I can't post, so all I'm left with is this crappy, boring, not-quite-revealing-enough-but-too-personal-to-be-of-general-interest rubbish. Ah well.

I'll get back to the "Game of the Year" thing in a bit, just indulge me for a moment:

I'm totally eating better this year. Less crap, and just plain "less" generally. I've now got several more ways of cooking vegetables available to me, and have gotten into the habit of grilling stuff like chicken and fish for dinner, so I'm going to head into next Christmas leaner and healthier than I've been in a while. That's the plan.

I'm also being more active this year. Running's the thing at the moment, which I'm still quite enjoying, when I can actually motivate myself to do it. The first step out the door is arduous, but all the other ones that come after that are surprisingly easy. I might even look into doing something a bit more organised and motivating. If I can find a tolerable sport that I can play locally without killing or humiliating myself, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath.

I'm going to create more and consume less. Less videogames, less telly, less buying shit. More writing shit down. Not this sort of thing, either. I'm taking two new approaches this year to ensure that more writing gets done:

1. I've got a schedule and a plan. I'm treating this more like work (where I'm actually quite organised, motivated and productive, as opposed to the chronically procrastinating sloth I am outside business hours). It's a project, and it'll have goals, a scope, milestones, and *fingers crossed* an end-product. I'm going to have something I can show someone by the end of the year. I'm not short on ideas; it's just prioritising my own projects against everything else in my life that's the trouble. Waiting for spare time fails because there simply isn't any.

2. I'm going to try longhand. That's right - you heard me. One of the biggest problems I have writing outside of work is making myself sit back down at the computer. To that end, I've bought a journal. You know - one of those cheap papery things that's all hardware. I'm not sure how the practicalities of this will suit the perfectionist in me, but there's something positive about having to always move forward when you're writing on paper, rather than being able to constantly re-edit sentence #1.

My final resolution for the year is to be a bit more of an arsehole. You heard me. Most of what I have to change in my life involves being tougher on myself, but I'm going to be a bit tougher on everyone else as well. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a jerk - just a bit more assertive. If I get pushed this year, I'm pushing back.

(Okay, I realise I've gone all livejournal on your arse, and this isn't really a blog entry, and there are no links or anything. Sorry. Er... I mean - too bad. Fuck you, arsehole ;P)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home