vanillaflavoureddavid

Watch me ollie!

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Now, I've had this game pre-ordered for a while. I've been looking forward to it ever since it was announced, having thoroughly enjoyed the prequel. It was one of the best games of last year.

But now IGN's review has me a bit worried.

1. Why is it that when you make a sequel to a good game, it always has to be "darker" and more "moody" than the original? Nintendo figured out that it didn't have to be this way ages ago, so why hasn't everyone else cottoned on?

2. How come for something to be more "mature" and reach a wider audience, the character has to have the personality of a grouchy teen, and swear and cut the heads off things to a heavy metal soundtrack? Films and literature that are more "mature" tend towards subtlety, rather than this misguided "extreme" sort of attitude.

Actually, I'm not going to continue this. It's stilly, since I haven't actually got my copy of the game yet (I think it comes in next week). But I've been a little worried about this game since some of the recent trailers were released, and this review disheartens me a bit. Why try to make it more like everything else? Those of us who liked the game liked it for what it was, so why not play up the things that made it different, rather than trying to bend it back into a more familiar mould?

Having said all that, I'm still getting the game, and I'm looking forward to the gameplay. I just hope the weird teen-angst vibe isn't pervasive enough to take the shine off it too much for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home