vanillaflavoureddavid

Watch me ollie!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Aw, man.

Okay, that was crap. Look at the title of that last post. I was going to talk about this conference, but then I just ended up with a great big heaping serve of "wah wah wah, look at me".

Apologies.

Here's something to think about: Could you design a game based around the poetry of Emily Dickinson? Some game design legends are going to take a crack at it, and I get to watch 'em. Peter Molyneux and Will Wright are going to be on deck, along with a couple of others. What a terrifying challenge. I'm not sure I'd be up to it, to be completely honest. If anyone is, though, I bet it's Will Wright. (You know. The guy that designed SimCity and The Sims and all that.)

In other semi-related news, this whole overseas trip thing means a long aeroplane journey, and a lot of waiting around in airports and hotel rooms. And that means that I need a good book and a good portable game or three. Games-wise, I think I'm going to stick to the trusty old GBA SP. There actually isn't a single worthwhile game out on the DS yet, which is a bit of a worry. So I'll be playing Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, which I've been sitting on for a while, and I'll probably go back to a couple of old standbys as well, namely Puyo Pop and Advance Wars 2. Maybe I'll pick up The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap as well, while I'm in the US. The missus loved it. As for books, I'm open to suggestions.

3 Comments:

At 12:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a game based on emily dickinson poems??? i love it! i'm seeing banjo kazooey in a petty coat...
as for books my david, i'm not sure what yr into, but can i suggest that the last two books that i re-read and LOVED again were thackeray's "vanity fair" and gogol's "dead souls". they're both hilarious and light on, which is good for travel. for some odd reason i doubt that we have the same taste in "literature" tho.
AH WELL!! see you soon love,
Nick.

 
At 3:18 am, Blogger Brian W said...

I could see a good IF-type game written around E. Dickinson. The annual IF competitions tend to frown on using ANY kind of derivative work, even something clearly out of copyright, so I think these sorts of creative reimaginings are sadly often stymied by the one community that could make them work.

Also, wasn't there a mockup of a Jane Austen video game in Wired a few years ago? I have vague recollections of sliders where you could set your level of response-politeness.

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger VFD said...

I'm pretty sure we've got a copy of Gogol's "Dead Souls" around the house somewhere. I think Julie read it a few months ago. Perhaps I'll take that.

And as for the Jane Austen thing - I'm not entirely sure, but it actually sounds alright. There are certainly sillier ideas for games floating around, many of which end up on store shelves.

I don't think IF is going to cut it for this Emily Dickinson game, sadly. They tend to insist on something a bit more interactive for these sorts of things, generally. I'm curious to see what they come up with. I can't think of anything even remotely sensible, personally :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home